Thursday, December 2, 2010

31 Day Yoga Challenge

After talking to Jane last night, I decided to partake in the 31 Day Yoga Challenge (also seen here). 

Basically, the challenge is to do at least 20 minutes of "structured" yoga each and every day. 

I was hesitant at first, as I'm pretty positive I won't be able to do yoga EVERY single day during December.  However, I'll  decided I'll be happy if I can set aside time for 75% of the month (23 days) for some daily zen.  75% is better than never getting in the game, right? 

Since my December won't really jive with me taking part in any time of formal class, most of my yoga sessions will be through videos from On Demand or downloaded from the Internet.  I figure I'd also provide a review of the videos as I try new ones throughout the month.  

So last night, while Ben was watching the Duke game, off I went to our bedroom to start the challenge.  I went to the On Demand section of Verizon FiOS and chose the 21 Day Yoga Workout (similar to this).  The workout ran 21 minutes long (just over the 20 minute requirement!).

This yoga workout is very low-impact and I felt like it focused more on stretching than building muscles.  It is a pretty good video for a beginner.  While it may have been a short 21 minute video, I was expecting it to be high impact workout.  Instead, I barely broke a sweat! 

Would I do this workout again?  Possibly if:
  • I'm doing it the day after a long run and I'm sore so I need to get a good stretch in
  • Or I'm using it as a cool down session after a more intense arm/weight workout

Are you a yoga fan? Are you doing the 31 day yoga challenge?  What yoga resources do you follow when you can't get to a studio?

1 comment:

  1. OK, glad I just read this, because I was thinking about doing that one later! I did a different beginning one - it's 47 minutes long - and I really like it. (I think we have the same on demand options!)

    ReplyDelete