Thursday, September 30, 2010

If I ruled the world

The other day Cheryl gave us some insight into what the world would look like if she ruled it. I particularly like the idea of bringing back "please" and "thank you" and children wearing shoes.

I can think of lots of great things that can’t really be changed (like ending rain during rush hours and making ice cream and pizza a healthy, acceptable meal).

But regarding the things that could actually theoretically be changed, I find most of my frustrations with the world deal can ultimately be linked back to two concepts: Be respectful and responsible.

Yes, I know being an adult can suck sometimes. But you had the first two decades of your life to pull the young, immature, and the “I didn’t know any better” cards. Now it’s time to take responsibility and be a respectful member of society.

But to be more specific:
  • When getting on/off the metro, do not push, shove or run to the available seat. Also, when you see a pregnant woman, elderly person, person with a small child, person with disabilities/injuries, etc., offer them your seat. It’s the right thing to do. You won’t die if you stand during your commute to work. If you have a legitimate reason to need the seat, fine. Don’t just push everyone out of the way and then play on your BlackBerry the whole time so you don’t have to make eye contact with that old woman who should really have your seat.
  • If you don’t want to walk up the escalator, please stand to the right. Leave the left side for those people who are in a rush. And definitely don’t stand in the middle taking up the WHOLE step.
  • Don’t throw trash on the ground. Yes, I know I’ve done this at times. But really. Find a trash can. Or even better, when appropriate, a recycle bin.
  • While yes, I agree it’s nice when boys open doors for girls. But it doesn’t ALWAYS have to be that way. Walking into a building and there is a boy (or anyone for that matter) coming behind you, hold the door for them.
  • When approaching an elevator, if the doors start to shut do not run and throw your arm to make them pop back open. Let the people peacefully take their elevator ride, and wait the 30 seconds for the next one. (Please note that I do NOT apply this concept to public transportation. You never know when the next bus/train will arrive.)
  • Blogger would like me type a blog posting in word and then copy and paste it into the blog function. I like working in Word. You make this difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment